Pages

Friday, December 13, 2013

December 12-17, Go to Hell

   Yesterday was a tough one.  It marked a year since the awful ultrasound appointment at which I found out that my pregnancy was over and I wouldn't have a baby in July.  I think about that appointment pretty much everyday anyway, but yesterday the memories were overwhelming.  Today is not much better, since last year on Dec 13, I went to my RE early that morning hoping he would see the heartbeat that had been there two days before and tell me that the OB's office was wrong.  But he didn't.  The 17th was my D&C.  It was also the day my best friend conceived her baby that was just born this Sept, because life is often cruel that way.  I wish I could sleep through these dates or at least hide in the privacy of my house, but I can't.  I went to the store yesterday, and was greeted by pregnant bellies everywhere.  Then as I pulled into our driveway, I saw our old neighbor pull up to the house that he used to live in, and I was glad to see him since it has been over a year.  But as my luck seems to go, he couldn't wait to tell me that his wife is 36 weeks pregnant with their first boy.  It took everything I had to get out a "congratulations" and get through the rest of that conversation.
Last night when Matt and I got in bed,  I just broke down in the dark where I could ugly cry and be safe with my husband.  He asked me if I wanted to talk about it, and I did talk about it although I know he can't really understand.  He wasn't affected that deeply by our loss, because he never let himself get invested since it was early and that's just the way he is. I told him the best way I can think to describe it is like falling in love with someone only to find out that they don't exist.  You have such a deep love for this person, and you imagine your life with them in it and how things will be and all the possibilities, and then you find out that those things will never be.  No one else knows this person and they never will, so they don't understand why you'd feel so lost without them or how you can be in so much pain.  They don't want to talk about someone who didn't exist in their world.  You can't share memories of them, because you have none (other than a few ultrasound pictures). This person changed your life, and no one even knows him or her.  And on top of all of that, that person was your child.  Your own DNA growing in your body and completely dependent upon you.  And a year later, you still desperately love someone who will never be a part of this world.  Someone who will never hug you or depend on you or know you or call you their mom.  It's just soul crushing.

   I know I'm always posting about songs and the timing of hearing them, but I have started to notice a pattern.  Almost every time I have an appointment with my Napro doctor, the song I heard on the way to my ultrasound on the 12th comes on the radio either before the appointment or in the car on the way home.  I rarely hear it otherwise.  This is the one:

I like to focus on the "I will be brave" and "one step closer" lyrics as a reminder.  I don't have another choice if I want to be a mother.  I've done everything I know to do, I'm investing my heart despite it being broken, and I am just hoping that it will be worth it in the end and that the end of this journey is not too far away.

4 comments:

  1. Farra, I am so sorry that a year later you're still in this place. I can only imagine how horrible this week has been and the holidays in general. I'm really glad you have this song and something positive to focus on. Also glad you were able to cry it out with Matt. It WILL happen, you WILL be a mom. This will never, ever replace your loss, but it will help you not feel so empty. I know what a strong, amazing person you are and how you'll continue to push forward, but today you have a right to grieve this loss, a right to be sad for losing someone so special who was a part of you. It doesn't matter how short a time it was. *hugs* Lots of love and I'm here if you want to talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for always encouraging me, Amber. It means a lot that you continue to support me and comfort me when you have had your own hurdles with your pregnancy. Still, you've always been beyond considerate of my feelings, and you always are there when I'm struggling. Thank you for always allowing me to grieve the loss of my baby however I need to even after a year. Don't know what I'd do without the friends I've made along this journey.

      Delete
  2. My heart breaks hearing your sadness come through in your post. I wish there was something I could do to make you feel better. I wish none of us had to go through this horribly long journey, but I have to agree with Amber...it will happen. I know some women really hate to hear that, and no I don't have a crystal ball, but I just really believe that if we throw enough darts at it and keep putting one foot in front of the other long enough that 99% of us WILL become mothers when it's all said and done. I know it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but I truly believe it's there just waiting to be seen! Hang in there Farra! I'll be thinking of you this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily. I feel a little better today (despite a meltdown earlier over my friend announcing she's pregnant with her second baby since I've been trying). I've been thinking about you and hoping to see a post from you. I'm praying you got good news from your beta, but if not, I pray that you find some peace and comfort (which is not easy, I know). You have been so strong through everything you have been through, and you have such a good attitude about the likelihood of us eventually becoming mothers one day. Thank you for reminding me of that when I really need to remember it. Thinking of you and praying for you as always!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.