I have a lot to do today, but instead I'm going to sit here and blog for a minute. I've come to find that I DO like to see new things/places. But only with Matt, really. I am not adventurous on my own, but he has some super power that forces the fun into the situation. Usually. Anyway, I remember before we moved here, everyone would say, "Oh, how wonderful to get to travel the world and see new places!" And I would roll my eyes inside and think, "It would be wonderful to get to stay in the only place I've ever lived and be comfortable and close to the people I love. And for you to not assume I feel the same as you would or that I care what the rest of the world looks like." But, strangely, I have loved Virginia. And while I kind of want to stay here longer, I find myself looking forward to finding out where we'll go next - and not just because I'd like to plan my life and have some clue of my future. Because I think about all the cool things I have experienced here - and mostly, the cool people I've met and become friends with. (I'll be honest, though, it's also because I have a redecorating addiction, and I look forward to moving into different houses where I'll get to redecorate and not have my husband get annoyed by it or tell me that stuff is fine the way it is.)
I also used to hate the outdoors and all things associated with it. I thought it was mind boggling that people on TV would say ridiculous things like, "I love the outdoors" or "I went for a hike" or "I went trail running". I wanted to ask them if they were being sarcastic. I didn't even like to go outside to get the mail. No one likes the outdoors. There's humidity and bugs and sticks, and your going to probably be killed if you are playing in the woods. That's just how I felt. But, I was wrong. You don't always get killed, apparently, and the bugs and humidity take a chill in the fall in some places. I found this out when Matt mentioned that there was a huge cluster of trails in the woods behind our house and started to go running on them. I see deer and woodchucks and gophers around here all the time, so, being the animal crazy person that I am, I thought this would be my chance to see them up close on their territory. So, we (Stig included) went for a long walk/run/hike through one of the trails and up some huge hills and down them, of course. And it turns out, it's really peaceful. The trees changing, the leaves falling, and the deer hopping away from us made for a cool time. Not to mention it smelled like one of my favorite childhood scratch and sniff books.
So, now that I have conquered my first move and my first forest experience, I feel like I basically should get my explorer badge. Probably a courage one, too, but we'll save that for if we have to go overseas. Visiting is one thing - living is another. I need to go clean this new house now, which also is going to require some courage, since I'm going to have to swim through laundry.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.