Pages

Saturday, February 1, 2014

My Enthusiastic Ovaries and a Less Than Impressive Consultation

   Not long after I wrote my last post, I made an appointment for a consultation with an OB that is nearby after a friend let me know that she'd heard that he does IUI.  His office is much closer to where we live than all the RE offices, so I thought it was worth a shot despite the fact that I basically hate OB offices.  Our appointment was supposed to be last Monday, but after Matt took off work early and we drove all the way there, paid to park, and sat in the waiting room, they called me up to tell me we had to reschedule because the doctor had gotten called out to a delivery.  We rescheduled for Thursday, and in the meantime, I went to my NaPro doctor for my regular post ovulation u/s.  Much to my surprise, there was a corpus luteum on each ovary!  I am not on any fertility meds, and twins don't run in our family, so I really was shocked by that.  Dr. S said I'm an overachiever.  Haha!  We were wanting to do our IUI unmedicated since my second attempt on Femara went so badly and I O on my own, have good sized follicles, and have spent so much time getting my hormones optimized, so this just made me feel more convicted about not needing ovulating stimming meds.

     Our consultation was....interesting.  I was not very impressed that we waited an hour just to talk to the nurse practitioner who then just asked me all the same questions that were on the forms I filled out.  I was annoyed that the NP called said I was "so cute" for using the terms "follicular" and "luteal" and for having all my labwork organized on a spreadsheet.  Sorry, but if you've been TTC for over 2 years and don't know what those terms are, you need a TTC education.  The doctor came in and was very matter of fact.  I don't expect all doctors to be all warm and fuzzy, but I was not digging his vibe that much.  He seemed very focused on trying to find something wrong with me and he acted like the 10% motility from the last SA was no big deal.  He agreed to do one unmedicated IUI, but then will only continue if I use Clomid, which I am not going to do right now, so if this one doesn't work, I'll see if we have better luck with the RE I have an appointment with on March 17.  I debated moving forward with this doctor at all, but the IUI will only cost $200-300, and since he's closer to our house, it is really more convenient for DH to be able to be there.  Since I don't have to count on him for anything except for the timing of this IUI, and he is having me use a trigger shot for that, I feel like it can't hurt.  I'm just looking forward to having a new plan.  Now we just need an improvement on the SA Monday so we can make this happen!  Please God!

3 comments:

  1. Feeling comfortable with your doctor is so important. I'm glad that you're able to move forward with this month without missing a beat and still have a back up plan if needed with another doctor. Godd luck tomorrow on the SA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the SA comes back great, but more than that, I hope you don't need the OB at all. Double O, wow girl!! I really, really hope you're off to a miracle new year and get a BFP. I do think it's wise to go ahead and do one cycle with the OB though if if you get a BFN, since you are Oing and the timing will be right on triggering and you don't need him to really do anything else for you. It's a shame on his attitude, but I think you have a great plan going. Praying so hard for your BFP girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am pulling for you so hard that this one shot IUI with this new doc works, so you don't have to even worry about who to go to next. Crossing everything I've got for you!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.