Pages

Thursday, January 24, 2013

It's Hard to Dance with a Devil on Your Back

   It's beginning to get a little easier every day, as people said it would, and I'm grateful for that.  I still have times where it will hit me out of nowhere, and I'll cry, but I think that's normal when you have lost someone you love - even if that someone was just a tiny fetus.  Maybe those moments aren't completely out of nowhere.  They usually come on after hearing certain songs or seeing that new Huggies commercial where the woman goes screaming to her husband that she's pregnant, and they jump up and down and hug in excitement.  I had one of these moments last night, and it was brought on by an OPK.  I had what felt like ovulation pain yesterday, and I wtas kind of freaked out, because I'm not tracking or "trying" right now, but I knew that was really early for me.  Since I have a giant bag of Wondfo OPKs hanging around, I figured I'd see if I could see what was up.  Well, it was negative but had the faintest second line, and I automatically flashed back to the last time I saw a faint second line and how I'd felt that day.  Then, of course, my mind went to that awful day when I sat crying by myself in an ultrasound room after being told there was no longer any cardiac activity.  I felt sad, but I shook the memory away, and reminded myself of how far I've come since then.  I've done a lot of emotional healing, and I'm on my way to healing my body.  Those are both very good things.  Until very recently, I have been really afraid to ever be pregnant again.  I can't say that I'm not going to have an ounce of worry if and when it happens again, but I realized that I can't live in fear that way.  I know that a loss can happen at anytime, and there are no guarantees.  Whether that loss is a fetus, a baby, or an older child, it can happen, and it isn't in our control.  It's scary to give in to that thought, but if I don't, how will I get through life without constantly giving myself ulcers?  So, some lyrics to some songs kind of spoke to me yesterday, which inspired these thoughts and this post, so I'll share them in case they might speak to anyone else.

"And I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't
So here's to drinks in the dark at the end of my road
And I'm ready to suffer and I'm ready to hope
It's a shot in the dark aimed right at my throat
'Cause looking for heaven, found the devil in me
Looking for heaven, found the devil in me
Well what the hell I'm gonna let it happen to me"  - Florence and the Machine, "Shake it Out"

"But just because it burns
Doesn't mean you're gonna die
You've gotta get up and try, and try, and try" - Pink, "Try"  (I can't stand Pink, but these lyrics remind me of all the times I have been strong enough to pick myself back up after something I didn't think I could make it through)



"I will be brave
I will not let anything take away
What's standing in front of me
Every breath
Every hour has come to this

One step closer

I have died everyday waiting for you
Darling don't be afraid I have loved you
For a thousand years
I'll love you for a thousand more

And all along I believed I would find you
Time has brought your heart to me
I have loved you for a thousand years
I'll love you for a thousand more"   - Christina Perri, "A Thousand Years" (I posted this video before, but these specific lyrics are what makes it so meaningful to me.)

5 comments:

  1. I feel like that's what it felt like after I mc'd like I had a devil on my back that I just couldn't shake. When it was finally gone (almost a year later) I was able to dance again with joy in my heart :) This is my prayer for you that you will dance again with joy in your heart and be able to see God in all things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *hugs* girl! I am glad you are slowly but surely doing better. I am really excited for what's to come with this new doctor and like I said, you did make some improvements that allowed your body to conceive and now with more changes, I know your next one will be your Earth baby. The song is very appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post Farra! One tiny step at a time and your heart will continue healing. I'm excited to hear you say you are starting to be able to fathom the possibility of becoming pregnant again. That is a very good sign of how strong an individual you are, and that you do know in your heart you will soon be ready to move on and try again...and that you WILL be a mother someday. You are allowing the possibility and hope to have a place in your heart again, and you should be proud of that! I'm very proud of you. You are such a special woman. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the sweet words of encouragement, for the prayers, and the hugs. I am honestly surprised at where I am now versus where I was a month ago. I knew time would ease some of the pain, but I didn't expect to find anything positive things that have come out of this. I know it's because I have such great support with you ladies and some other close friends and family members. And Matt :) You are all constantly in my prayers and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your strength always amazes me! You've come so far and I'm glad to hear that you're viewing things differently and feeling better about moving forward. I also love the lyrics you posted too, so fitting. <3

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.